The BG-Sentinel mosquito trap:
• mimics convection currents created by a human body;
• employs attractive visual cues;
• releases artificial skin emanations through a large surface area;
• can be used without CO2 to specifically capture selected mosquito species, and
• is an excellent general mosquito trap when used with CO2
Used in combination with the BG-Lure, a dispenser which releases a combination of non-toxic substances that are also found on human skin (ammonia, lactic acid, and caproic acid), the BG-Sentinel is especially attractive to the Asian tiger mosquito, Aedes albopictus, a species of special concern in Massachusetts.
CMMCP deploys these traps in selected areas in our service area to monitor viral activity. They are moved if needed to sample in as many locations as possible. Mosquito collections (called pools) are sent to the Mass. DPH State Lab. Institute in Jamaica Plain. Notification of positive pools of mosquitoes is given to the CMMCP office and local Board of Health by MDPH. The next response will vary, according to MDPH guidelines, CMMCP recommendations and local BOH desires.
For more information, please call our office at 508.393.3055 and ask to speak to our Staff Entomologist, Curtis Best or send him an e-mail.
Please click here for a map of our mosquito trap sites