CMMCP keeps current on all new trends in mosquito control and surveillance through a comprehensive network of individuals and organizations. The objective of the Arbovirus Surveillance Program is adult mosquito vector control. The driving force behind mosquito control is the surveillance of mosquito larvae and adults. Data collected determines the control technique to be employed to reduce or eliminate mosquito populations.
The goal of adult mosquito surveillance is to:
- Use data on mosquito populations and virus infections to assess the threat of human disease potential;
- Identify the geographic risk areas;
- Assess the need for, and timing of, intervention controls;
- Monitor the effectiveness and improve prevention and control measures; and
- Develop a better understanding of transmission cycles and potential vector species.