Larval/Pupal Mosquito Control Products
Biological Products (“Biopesticides”):
- Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis) - A naturally occurring, non-reproducing bacterium used in wetlands or artificial containers. Certified organic formulations are available and used by CMMCP.
- Bsph (Bacillus sphaericus) - A naturally occurring, non-reproducing bacterium used in abandoned swimming pools, catch basins and other areas with high organic content.
- Combination Bti/Bsph - Formulations using the benefits of each bacterium in a slow-release manner in briquet or granule form used in catch basins and/or abandoned swimming pools.
- Spinosad (Saccharopolyspora spinosa) - A naturally occurring, non-reproducing bacterium used in wetlands or artificial containers. Certified organic formulations are available and used by CMMCP.
- Methoprene — An insect growth regulator (IGR) used against mosquito larvae in catch basins.
- BVA® 2 Mosquito Oil — A highly refined oil used for control of mosquito pupae used in wetlands or artificial containers.
Adult Mosquito Control Products
Ultra-Low Volume (ULV) Products:
ULV sprayers dispense very fine aerosol droplets that stay aloft and kill flying mosquitoes on contact. ULV applications involve small quantities of pesticide active ingredient in relation to the size of the area treated, typically less than 3 ounces per acre, which minimizes exposure and risks to people and the environment.
Low Volume (LV) Products:
Low Volume (LV) Sprays, also known as Barrier Sprays, use more dilute solutions applied at greater amounts to foliage, foundations or other areas the pest to be controlled may come in contact with after the application. LV Sprays are often residual sprays necessary to control the pest long after the application is made. Barrier Sprays have only been done on a limited basis in the CMMCP area over th past decade.